I was looking for a way to add more protein, veggies and variety to our breakfast and came up with the perfect solution, egg muffins. They’re quick, easy and portable. Perfect for a busy family.
Below are the ingredients I used but you can easily substitute the veggies, sausages, cheese for what you have or prefer.
- 10 large mushrooms
- 12 sausage links
- 1-2 bell peppers
- 6 cups kale
- 1 carton of Hashbrown potatoes (or a frozen bag will do)
- 18 eggs
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- If you’re using the carton of hashbrowns follow the directions and add water to carton to cook.
- Slice and cook sausages in pan
- Dice peppers and add to cook with sausages
- Chop and add kale to cook last
- Once everything’s fully cooked in the pan place it in a large bowl.
- When hashbrowns are fully cooked, add to bowl and mix together
- Add cheese (I used about 1.5 cups) and mix together
- In a separate bowl beat eggs together.
- I added some garlic salt.
- Add eggs to bowl with mixture.
- Generously grease pan with cooking spray. DO NOT skip this step unless your arms need a workout while scraping your pans clean later.
- This kind of ice cream scooper works perfectly for filling the pans with the mixture.
- This recipe made enough for 24 large muffins
- 24 small muffins
- And there was a bit extra so I put it in a loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees
- Bake large and small muffins for 30-40 mins, until eggs are fully cooked.
- Bake loaf pan for 1 hr or until eggs are fully cooked.
There you have it. A delicious and healthy breakfast (or lunch, or snack, or dinner!)
- When cool, place muffins in a single layer inside a freezer Ziplock bag.
- To prevent freezer burn place in refrigerator until cold, then freezer.
- These warm up easily in the microwave. 45 sec – 1 min per large muffin.